I offer workshops, talks and practice-based projects in
- participatory design and rapid iteration;
- design and innovation methodologies;
- social and community engagement techniques;
- mapping, spatial and urban exploration projects
- pop up digital/physical publishing with bookleteer.com.
I am available as a speaker, guest lecturer and visiting tutor. In addition to the above, I also offer talks and seminars in professional practice on setting up and running a creative business as well as project management and business administration.
- University of Oxford: Research Associate, Human Centred Computing Research Group (2016-ongoing)
- Birkbeck College University of London: Creativeworks Entrepreneur in Residence, Pervasive Computing Lab (Autumn 2014)
- University College London: Honorary Research Associate, Extreme Citizen Science Research Group, Dept of Civil, Environmental & Geomatic Engineering (2014-ongoing)
- Central St Martins College of Art & Design, University of the Arts London: Visiting Tutor, MA Communication Design (2014)
- University of Cambridge: Research Affiliate, Crucible Research Network, (2010-ongoing)
- Goldsmiths University of London: Visiting Tutor, MA Design Critical Practice (2007-10)
- London School of Economics: Research Associate, Media & Communications (2001-10)
- Royal College of Art: Research Fellow, Computer Related Design Research Studio & School of Communications (1998-2002)
- Lectures, talks, workshops & student projects at universities across the world since 1996 (see list of institutions below)
My work within and alongside HE institutions has often been to bridge between the academic world and other kinds of communities and spaces; engaging in transdisciplinary working and research with both staff, students, outside professionals and grassroots communities. I am a firm believer in “learning by doing” and working in “real” situations and with “real” communities to understand and gain practical experience of the implications and consequences of working creatively with networked technologies. I have more than 20 years experience of professional practice working across design, art, research, publishing, engagement and technology.
I have skills, knowledge and experience of collaborative working practices across academia, industry, government, civil society as well as art and design. I have managed and run a successful creative practice working both in the public sector (winning funding from a broad spectrum of public bodies, such as Arts Council England, UK Research Councils, Government departments as well as private foundations) and with the commercial sector, partnering with companies like Hewlett-Packard, Orange, France Telecom, Philips Research and others.
Talks & Lectures
Architectural Association School of Architecture, London, Bartlett School of Architecture (University College London), Birkbeck College (University of London), Central St Martins School of Art (University of the Arts London), Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art (University of Dundee), Edinburgh College of Art, Glasgow School of Art, Goldsmiths College (University of London), Imperial College London, Institute of Contemporary Arts, London, John Moores University Liverpool, Kingston University, Surrey, London College of Communications (University of the Arts London), London School of Economics & Political Science (LSE), Middlesex University, Royal College of Art, Ruskin School of Drawing & Fine Art (University of Oxford), Slade School of Art (University College London), University of Cambridge / Cambridge-MIT Institute, University of East London, University of Westminster], Wimbledon School of Art, London.
Jan van Eyck Akademie, Maastricht (Holland), Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences, Amsterdam (Holland), Trinity College Dublin (Ireland).
Art Center College of Design, Pasadena, California Institute of the Arts (CalArts), New School University, New York, New York University, Nova Scotia College of Art & Design (Canada), School of Visual Arts, New York, University of Alberta (Canada), University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), University of Waterloo (Canada), University of Western Ontario (Canada).
UFBA (Federal University de Bahia, Brasil).
Asia-Pacific / Australasia
University of Goroka (Papua New Guinea), University of Technology Sydney and University of Western Sydney (Australia).